Wednesday, April 27, 2011

"Book War"

The article “Book War” by Wang Ping is about Ping growing up in China. Back in the 1960’s the government closed schools and banned books. If any citizens were caught breaking the rules it could lead to a death sentence. Ping’s mother buried a box of books under the chicken coop so they would not be discovered. But Ping unburied them. When his mother found out she made him rip pages out and burn them in the fire place.
            I don’t think this is right. People in all countries should have the right to learn. Reading books is on of the greatest learning strategies. If countries really want to banned learning and reading, their punishment should not be a death sentence. In my opinion that’s too harsh. They should come up with a punishment that is not harmful to the citizens. If learning was banned in the United States I would try and fight it. I would make a protest with other citizens to save learning.
 If I had children who wanted to read, I would not stop them, even if it was banned. I would let them read in a safe area to make sure they got their education. I would never do what Ping’s mother did! I would never crush my children’s heart by making them rip up their favorite books and watch them burn. I think that wasn’t right of her. She should of went about things a different way. She should have took them away and re-hid them from her child.
            Even though countries have many different beliefs, people still have their rights. I am just thankful we live in a country where the government encourages learning. I wouldn’t change our life style for anything in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment